Business and leadership training for solicitors and accountants
Peers, partners, public, & clients
Confidence & belief.
Billing, rates, & cross referrals.
Internal, external, & speaking.
New position or partnership
Priority & productivity
Leadership for lawyers
Solicitors and accountants often work in a unique environment to other businesses. With circa 20 years experience in the legal industry as an employment law solicitor, and a partner, with a focus on business and staff development. I bring extensive knowledge to expand leadership training, to focus on bespoke and specific areas for solicitors and accountants). Including coaching or training:
- imposter phenomenon or syndrome (a fear of being found out as a fraud, often found in high achievers)
- psychological aspects of time recording and billing (many firms focus on techniques to improve time recording and billing, without focusing on the impact of discomfort or charging)
- working in high stress, reactive, and time focused environments
- dealing with constant change through law, procedure, regulatory, and client demands and expectations
- supporting the shift from technical and professional skills to leadership and behavioural skills (developing interpersonal, leadership, self-accountability, awareness, and communication skills)
Leadership training (and coaching) for fee earners includes upskilling in:
- increased fee earning through processes
- managing challenging clients
- work prioritisation and time keeping
- networking and marketing skills
- confidence and assertiveness
- team working and cross referrals
- handling conflict and maintaining relationships
- profit and mindset
- goal setting
- growth mindset
- understanding feedback for greater performance
- wider perspectives and thinking
- self-accountability & responsibility
Leadership training (and coaching) for partners provides advanced skills in
- increasing business acumen and focus
- looking for new opportunities for the firm
- dealing with difficult situations or personalities
- supervising and motivating others
- improving interpersonal skills and delivering effective feedback
- gaining a wider perspective than their case load or department
- leading change or teams and running effective meetings
- developing financial and marketing confidence
- understanding their position as a role-model for beahaviours
- delegating and improved productivity
- enhanced time management skills for new priorities
- assertiveness and networking skills
- developing balance and whole life prioritisation
In-house Training for Partners, Solicitors, Fee-Earners
Leadership often arises where one day, an expert in a specific area of law or accountancy, working on work. The next day suddenly responsible for others, cross selling, marketing, and teams.
Whether moving into associate or team leader roles roles, or from senior leadership roles, to Director, or Partnership, roles. Each transition brings with it new challenges:
- gaining clarity on what is expected as a leader, and how to manage the transition, including relationships with former peers
- handling queries outside of previous knowledge sets, developing oversight thinking, reacting to fluid circumstances, and making decisions that have greater impact, despite uncertainty
- developing leadership, interpersonal, and behavioural skills, such as: delegation, giving and receiving feedback, providing direction, strategic thinking, networking, decision making, running meetings, public speaking, handling challenging situations, managing competing claims on time, and more
- understanding firm needs, finances, staff motivation, and more
Training helps those who attend feel reassured that what they are experiencing is not unusual, before helping them identity the key areas of strengths, skills, and responsibilities, needed for their role. What they include, and what practical steps can be taken to close any gaps they think they may have.
Leaving with new confidence, greater understanding of what is expected, ways to gain ongoing support and motivation, and how best to develop their own leadership, management, and professional skills for well balanced prioritisation, productivity, and profit.
Training can also include ongoing opportunities for coaching to help imbed changes, allow for trial and error of new techniques, and create a sounding board for new ideas or upcoming situations.
Fee Earning & Time Recording
For many firms time recording and billing remains an issue, with time being discounted both at the recording stage (intentionally or unintentionally) and again at the billing stage.
Training or internal approaches typically look into tackling responses around technology, and how to improve ‘time management’ for time recording, and a carrot and stick approach linked to bonuses.
However, the reality is, that when it comes to lost time, there is often far more going on that is rarely looked at.
This training delves deeper into understanding what truly gets in the way of fee earners recording their time, including what is often never discussed, the discomfort around charging.
Where the culture of the firm might feed into it, and where the individuals money mindset plays a role. Alongside some practical challenges, obstacles, hurdles, and how they can be overcome at the same time too. Leaving fee earners more confident to record their time, and supported by the firm, to make it happen for increased profitability, confidence, and billing for all.
Managing People Within the Law
Professionals are not different to any other business, and often it can help to get an external person to come in and provide training.
Are you finding that lateness, sickness, not completing work, or other day to day unacceptable behaviors, aren’t being addressed by managers confidently?
Perhaps there is a sense of discomfort, friction, lack of psychological safety, or unease, that isn’t addressed. Or individuals repeatedly left unchallenged.
Do you want your line managers (at all levels of seniority) to tackle poor performance, absences, conflict, unacceptable behaviour, and misconduct. Quickly, efficiently, and with confidence?
Resolving it before it escalates, whilst taking greater responsibility for both leading, setting an example, and taking appropriate action.
Likewise, do you want individuals to take more responsibility for being assertive where needed, seeking support where required, and take greater responsibility for their own actions?
Is too much time being taken up by senior management dealing with situations that could have been dealt with sooner?
This training typically includes a hybrid of:
- Understanding how individuals and line managers (of all seniority) can identity unacceptable behaviour (theirs and others). How they can tackle it on the ground, before it escalates, and within more formal procedures. Including, useful guidance and tips for handling challenging conversations and giving effective feedback,
- Identifying how the organisation’s individual employment policies are useful, what they can learn from the specific wording used, and how they offer guidance of what to do. All for greater confidence and buy in.
This training is aimed at those tackling day to day behaviours, such as managers and team leaders. To gain more confidence dealing with minor situations as and when they arise, so to avoid escalation. Along with understanding where their responsibility starts and ends, and how to deal with next steps, where matters become more serious. Including, if necessary, working with HR. It can also be extended to those without management responsibilities, to understand their own responsibilities around their own behaviours and, how to tackle unacceptable minor behaviours of others, or gain support where needed.
To find out more please get in touch on 01483 670177 or email here.
Are meetings often unproductive, a chore, repetitive, with some voices being heard more than others, or perhaps the same actions or topics come up time and time again?
Transforming Meetings® training creates:
- Meetings that are both engaging and create high quality ideas
- A culture where everyone feels valued and heard
- Strong, robust, and actionable decisions
- Respectful and useful discussions
- Time and money saved from fewer meeting and better results
Skills developed for everyone attending , include active listening, respect, inclusivity, diversity, creating psychological safety, better thinking. For those who run meetings, practical skills for running meetings, setting agendas, and managing meetings in a productive and easy to understand way.
All team members and team leaders benefit from attending the training. It can therefore be run for team leaders, or whole teams themselves.
Delegates who came to this, and have previously attended meetings training elsewhere, expressed how they wish they had come to this sooner, for its ease, value, and change of thinking. See here for more.
Other training includes
- Managing People Within The Law (for those without HR training, such as heads of department, or team leaders)
- Handling Challenging Conversations
- Giving Effective Feedback
Our courses are practical, interactive, and enjoyable, in a supportive environment.
Leadership & culture
Fee earners need to be able to work effectively to avoid:
- errors being made
- losing time on unnecessary tasks
- having low resilience in challenging situations
- taking their work home
How is your culture developing today?
- working excessively
- feeling stressed and overwhelmed
Firm & culture
- allow fee earners to feel safe if a error is made
- create a natural feedback environment
- have role-models in senior positions
- encourage learning
- set reasonable and supported billing targets
- allow for staff to openly discuss concerns, gaps in knowledge, or challenging cases
- ensure all fee-earners excel to increase cross referrals
- develop coaching and positive mental health approach
- ensure employees feel valued and see opportunities for personal growth and promotion
Return On Investment
Whilst there are various tools out there, many businesses choose the following:
- comparison of before and after surveys on self-rated behaviours
- tracking employee retention, absences, and grievances
- monitoring profitability or cash flow
- recording customer or client retention, cross-referrals, or business development opportunities brought in
- an overall litmus test of the firm’s culture and atmosphere
Global Tax Network
All training has a strong emphasis on experiential learning. This allows delegates to have real life examples, of what could happen day to day.
They practice what they have been taught, and see what occurs when facing a challenging situation in the safety of a learning environment.
Tried and tested learning models include facilitated discussion, group activities, psychometric profiling, 1:1 feedback, personal reflection, and action planning.
We can also combine with our network for some unique team tasks and outdoor activities.
Crucially, we also work with you, to create an ongoing plan to ensure these skills or behaviours are not only implemented. They continue to stay at the forefront of the mind of individuals and organisations, by using some light touch methods, or other bespoke actions, going forward.
Ready for greater success?
Book your free online coaching session today.